Now in its 18th year, the scholarship provides alumni financial assistance for their academic and career pursuits including tuition, textbooks and/or expenses related to career development, such as conferences and workshops that help prepare recipients for a career in the media and entertainment industry.
This year, THF awarded $15,000 in scholarships, with each recipient receiving $2500.
The Scott Weiss Scholarship is named after Scott Weiss, T. Howard Foundation founder and Chairman Emeritus. He is currently CEO and owner of Speakeasy, a THF host company.
2017 Scott Weiss Scholarship Award recipients are (including current institution, expected graduation year, THF internship Program year(s) and host company):
- Tatiana Cadet (New York University, Public Relations and Corporate Communications, ’18), THF ’17, Viacom (BET)
- Jin Kim (University of Michigan- Ann Arbor, Screen Arts & Cultures and Business Administration, ’18), THF ’16 and ’17, NBCUniversal
- Cierra Lockett (Loyola Marymount University, Writing and Producing for Television, ’19), THF ’13, Viacom (Nickelodeon)
- Kevina Newton (New York University, Media, Culture and Communication, ’17), THF ’17, Turner Broadcasting, Inc.
- Maitlyn Phan (University of Southern California, Business Administration, ’17), THF ’17, Viacom (Nickelodeon)
- Hongyu Zhou (University of Pennsylvania, Communication, ’18), THF ’17, Facebook