The purpose of the Scott Weiss Scholarship, now in its 15th year, is to provide T. Howard alumni with financial assistance for their academic and career pursuits, including college tuition, textbooks and/or expenses related to professional development, such as professional conferences and workshops that help prepare recipients for a career in the multimedia industry. Individual scholarship awards vary, but can range up to $2,750. This year, THF awarded $15,000 in scholarships.
“Across the country, T. Howard Foundation alumni are making an impact in the multimedia industry at all levels,” said Scott Weiss, THF Founder, Chairman Emeritus and President & CEO of Speakeasy, Inc. “Since our first class of 14 interns during the summer of 1995, we have been the launching pad for success for more than 700 young adults, including those who have reached the executive level at some of the most respected media companies in the world.”
2013 Scott Weiss Scholarship Award Recipients (including current institution, expected graduation year, THF internship program year and internship host company):
- Cristina Recino (Penn State University ’14), THF ’13, Viacom
- Elizabeth Tillman (Hofstra University ’15), THF ’13, HBO
- My (Roxy) Dinh (SUNY Binghamton ’14), THF ’12 and ’13, AMC Networks, Fox Entertainment Group
- Tamara Hall (Penn State University ’14), THF ’13, Comcast Corp.
- Breania Smith (Georgetown University ’14), THF ’12, HBO
- Kristen Smith (Penn State University ’14), THF ’12 and ’13, AMC Networks, Turner Network Sales
- Brandon Putnam (Georgetown University ’14), THF ’12, ESPN
- Rene Payan (Georgetown University ’14), THF ’12, Viacom
- Amina Smith (University of Miami ’14), THF ’12, DirecTV
- Annie Wilson (Purdue University ’15), THF ’08, A&E Networks
- Susan Mei (Fordham University ’14), THF ’13, Showtime Networks
All 2013 scholarship recipients are pursuing undergraduate degrees, except for Brandon Putnam and Annie Wilson, who are graduate students.
“The Foundation’s mission is to diversify the multimedia industry in positions of impact and influence. I’m proud that we can further assist our alumni in developing their skills to prepare for a long career in the field,” said Weiss.
Scott Weiss Scholarships are available to all alumni of the T. Howard Foundation’s Internship Program, regardless of year, who completed an internship with a favorable evaluation from his or her host company supervisor.
Scholarship applicants must also be undergraduate students (sophomores, juniors or seniors), or current graduate students enrolled in an accredited college or university, with a minimum GPA of 3.2 overall or in academic major and involved in extracurricular activities related to major or career interests.